We focus on flooring here at Floor Coverings International White Bear Lake, but we know that so much more than floors goes into making a house your home. This month, the team is taking a look at how to use Craigslist to furnish your space in style, no matter the budget. Read on to learn our five secrets to scoring quality used furniture through Craigslist!
- Have a Purpose— It’s tempting to use craigslist as a way to window shop, but the options are too vast and too varied in quality to browse the site without a purpose. Craigslist works best for furniture buyers who approach the site with an idea of what they need in mind and limit their searches to those items.
- Set a Price Limit—The goal for most buyers using Craigslist is to find a good deal, and the best way to approach bargain hunting is to set a budget. Although Craiglist is a venue for used furniture, some of the items can be pricey and buying over budget from Craiglist is just as dangerous as buying over budget in a traditional store. Thankfully, Craigslist allows you to set filters for your search, so you can limit the results to items at your price point.
- Weigh Ad Quality—Once you’ve found a piece you like at the price that makes sense, it’s time to contact the seller. Before you do, though, weigh the quality of the ad you’re considering. Does it include photos that seem to accurately reflect the item? Is it detailed and well written? Every buyer will have his or her own signifiers of a quality ad, but make sure the posting seems legitimate to you before you contact the seller.
- Negotiate—The buyer’s ability to negotiate with the seller is a major perk to buying furniture on Craigslist, so take advantage of it! Negotiation is also a good way to gauge the communication and character of the seller before you meet them in person.
- Inspect the Item—When it’s finally time to meet the seller and pick up your purchase, make sure to inspect the item before exchanging money. You can always leave a sale if the item doesn’t live up to its ad description or use any unexpected damage as a tool in negotiations.
We hope these tips help you use Craigslist to your advantage when decorating or redecorating your home. To truly get the most out of your space, contact your local White Bear Lake, St. Paul and Minneapolis area flooring experts at Floor Coverings International. We’re experts in remodeling and can help you find the right flooring to bring your home to life. Call us today and schedule a free, in-home consultation.
Photo: Sergey Peterman