For most of modern time, if you had hardwood flooring installed in your White Bear Lake home, it was unfinished when it first arrived. Your flooring expert would install your hardwood floors unfinished, and would then stain them and apply a protective sealant.
Times have changed, however, and it has now become quite common practice to purchase prefinished hardwood flooring. Below, we’ll discuss the pros and cons of purchasing prefinished hardwood flooring for your home, and our Floor Coverings International White Bear Lake experts will help you decide whether this type of flooring may be the choice for you.
- Easier installation: The entire installation process of your wood flooring will be simpler when it does not include finishing and sealing.
- Heightened durability: Industrial-finished hardwood tends to have extremely powerful chemical sealers on it, which are virtually impenetrable against stains, water, and UV damage.
- No fumes: Staining and sealing hardwood floors in the home often produces bad chemical smells, which can be both dangerous and irritating.
- Seams are left unfinished: When wood is finished after being installed, everything is sealed, including the seams between each plank. Prefinished hardwood floors, on the other hand, will have seams that are left unfinished, which may cause the penetration of water, dust, dirt, or other debris.
- Height irregularities may pose problems: Usually, any height irregularities after installation can be fixed by sanding the higher portions down. When the wood is already finished, however, height irregularities cannot be fixed in this manner.
- Can’t get a custom finish: If you are trying to match your new hardwood floors to existing ones, you will be better off with flooring that is finished on site so that your installers can match the stain. If you choose prefinished floors, they may not match your existing hardwoods.
As you can see, there are both advantages and drawbacks to choosing prefinished hardwood floors for your White Bear Lake home. Schedule a free consultation with one of our Floor Coverings International White Bear Lake experts to learn more and get personalized advice for your needs.
You might also be interested in:
Photo Credit: Artazum